Guinea Pigs are a nice and gentle pet for kids and adults. DealDash takes a look at their care.
Have you ever held a guinea pig? They are so soft, cute, and cuddly. Also, guinea pigs are easy to care for, inexpensive, and provide a lot of entertainment. Guniea pigs only need a few supplies and a lot of love and attention from their new human family. Here is a list of what you would need to get before you get a guinea pig as a pet, from DealDash.
Guinea Pig Supplies
- A cage. There are many commercially available guinea pig cages at the pet store. Be sure to get as big a cage as space and budget allow, you should be sure to get at least 4.5 square feet of cage space as a minimum for one guinea pig. Guinea pigs happily live in pairs, though, so be sure that you get a cage even larger if you decide to keep two at a time.
- Bedding. Make sure to never use cedar or aspen bedding, as it can cause respiratory problems. Pine is usually alright, but the best bedding for your little guinea pig is paper.
- Water bowl or bottle. A large heavy bowl works great, and as an added bonus you can just pop it right in the dishwasher when you are doing the dishes. If you prefer, you can get a water bottle that mounts to the cage, instead.
- Guinea Pigs love to graze on their food, so be sure that you have some timothy hay available for them every day.
- Green leafy vegetables should make up about 20% of your guinea pigs’ diet. Veggies that are good for guinea pigs include lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, kale, raw broccoli, and small amounts of spinach and peas.
- Food pellets. You don’t need a lot of food pellets, but variety is the spice of life, so be sure to pick up some food pellets for your guinea pig to graze on after he’s finished his fresh veggies.
- Love. Lots of love. Be sure to hold and cuddle your guinea pig friend daily. Let him run around in a guinea pig proofed area every day and he will be a happy and healthy pet.
Thanks for Reading
Finally, thanks so much for reading this new DealDash article on guinea pigs. Don’t forget to check back here often for new articles as well as on our sister blog, DealDash Tips. If you have any requests for specific articles, please feel free to leave a comment below.
DealDash often has animal supplies up for auction. DealDash carries dog, cat, bird, fish, bunny, and guinea pig supplies. Just click right here and it will take you to the area of DealDash where there are pet items.
You can also check out DealDash for a K-Mart, Wal*Mart, or Target gift cards, they all carry guinea pig supplies. DealDash has hundreds of different gift cards. Visit DealDash now to see how much you can save. Don’t forget to tell all of your friends about DealDash! Good luck and happy bidding everyone!